Monday, April 15, 2013

Spring Detox Days 1 and 2



My husband and I decided to do a spring detox this year and I thought I would chronicle our experience here! We are doing the Metagenics Clear Change program (found here). I carry the Metagenics line in my office and really like their products in general.  I especially like this detox program because it is not a fad diet and there are no questionable ingredients. It is a very structured plan where you can eat as much as you want from specified food groups. The program comes with a great guide that lays it all out for you. There is also a nutritional beverage "shake" and a capsule that helps to support detoxification. The Clear Change is a metabolic detox, meaning it will help trap and eliminate whole body toxins. I have had several patients use this product with great results. Those who had weight to lose reported a 10-15 pound weight loss. Andre and I are not trying to lose weight. We are simply trying to rid our bodies of the buildup of toxins from over the years and live more healthy.

Of course, being a detox, there's no coffee(yikes!) or caffeine, chocolate(double yikes!!), alcohol, and refined sugar. Dairy, wheat, and corn are also out for the 10 day stretch. Rice and nuts are ok in the beginning but will be eliminated later on. All foods will be added back in later.

Here's what we ate:
Day 1: oatmeal with fruit for breakfast, rice cakes with almond butter (actually really tasty!) and fruit for lunch, raw veg with hummus for snack, grilled fish with asparagus and sweet potatoes for dinner. Pretty normal stuff!

Day 2: shake and oatmeal for breakfast with a capsule, salad and veggie chili(me) salad with fish and soup (Andre) for lunch, shake with a capsule for snack, grilled fish, veggies, and sweet potatoes for dinner (we just really like sweet potatoes!) Other snacks were fruit,rice cakes, and nuts.

As we continue for the next 8 days we will monitor how we feel and make any modifications needed (i.e. more protein, less fruit, more veg etc.) It is important to remain flexible on a detox, what works for one person may not work so well for another. Make modifications as needed, just stick to the general plan  I will report back in a few days to let you know how we are feeling and doing! So far, so good! I have not attacked anyone for a square of dark chocolate yet!

Dr. Spear